Rev. John Wesley STARR
John Wesley STARR was born 6 Aug 1806 near Washington, Wilkes County, Georgia. He was the 3rd son and 5th child of Joshua and Fenton (MELEAR) STARR.
He was married on 23 Dec 1824 to Hannah MILLER, daughter of John Paul and Elizabeth (SHUPTRINE) MILLER. To this marriage was born 13 children:
- Elizabeth Fenton, b. 25 Oct 1826, d. 27 May 1862. (Married James Andrew RAY). For more information on this line, please contact Ouida Starr Woodson.
- Joshua F., b. 29 Nov 1828, d. 25 Nov 1856. (Adaline M. FAIRE).
- John Wesley, Jr., b. 22 Oct 1830, d. 20 Sep 1853.
- Sara Matthews, b. 10 Dec 1831, d. 1879. (Married Jacob S. HANSBERGER).
- Martha Ann C. F., b. 9 Oct 1833, d. 19 Jul 1834.
- James Wesley, b. 10 Jul 1835, d. 2 Sep 1902. (Married Adele Tholozon BRIGHT).
- Emory Parks, b. abt. 1836/1837, d. abt. 1836/1837.
- Lucius Ernest, b. 21 Mar 1838, d. 15, Mar 1913. (Married Mary Eloiza TEPPER). For more information on this line, please contact Ouida Starr Woodson.
- Mary Francis C., b. 4 Feb 1840. (Married Rev. William Maltbie WINN).
- Wilbur Fisk, b. 3 Jul 1842, d. 20 Jul 1864.
- Elbert Soule, b. 3 Feb 1845. (Married Sallie Ann BENNETT)
- William Henry Stephen, b. 2 Nov 1845, d. young.
- Catherine H. D., b. 20 Apr 1850, d. 21 Jul 1866.
The following information was taken from a newspaper article in the Greene County Democrat, 23 Feb 1956 edition, which can be seen in full by clicking on the above link.
John Wesley STARR joined the Methodist Church in 1820 and on 17 Sep 1830 was licensed to preach in Georgia by Rev. Andrew Hamill, and he joined the Georgia Conference Jan. 2, 1833. He served LaGrange, Talbotton, Zebulon, Thomaston and Madison Circuits in Georgia before transferring to the Alabama Conference in Dec. 1839. There he served Irwinton (Eufala), Montgomery District, LaFayette, Crawford, Oak Bowery Institute as agent, Crawford again, Talladega, Lafayette again, Summerfield District, Greensboro, Randolph Circuit in Bibb County, Bibb County Iron Works, Mahans and superanuated in 1866.
Another article on the Rev. John Wesley STARR is found in the Minutes of the Mobile Conference and can be read by clicking on the above link.
John Wesley STARR died in Bibb County, Alabama on 20 Feb 1870. His wife, Hannah, followed him in death near Camden, Wilcox County, Alabama on 16 Feb 1891. They are both buried in the Starr Cemetery north of Centreville, Bibb County, Alabama.
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2019 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?