John and Mary SHIVER
Mary Shiver was born 1 May 1832 in Dooly County, Georgia, a daughter of Manning Shiver and Sarah LOVE or NETTLES.
She was married probably about 1850 in Baker County to John Shiver, son of Fleming SHIVER and Elizabeth CALHOUN. John was born 29 Sep 1819 in South Carolina. John had been married once before to Harriet GAMMAGE (who had married a Mr. DICKSON previous to John). She evidently had 3 children with her first husband who lived with them.
Ivy Monroe Shiver, a descendant of John and Mary through their son Joseph, wrote a family history in the 1950s. A full transcript of that history can be viewed here.
John and Mary had 11 known children:
- Daughter, b. abt. 1848, d. in infancy.
- Joseph, b. 15 Nov 1850, d. 6 May 1931. (Married Eva Lilla MOREE).
- James L., b. 1 Jun 1853, d. 5 Aug 1929. (Married Martha Emma CASEY).
- Fleming L., b. 8 Feb 1855, d. 2 May 1938. (Married Martha Ann SIMPSON).
- Elizabeth or Liddy, b. abt. 1856, d. bef. 1885. (Married Alexander SHIVER).
- Abraham, b. abt. 1858, died young?
- Ethema or Fannie, b. abt. 1860. (Married A. J. MOREE).
- Julia, b. abt. 1862.
- Ruthia, b. 20 Feb 1863. (Married Thomas J. WATERS).
- Jesse Monroe, b. 2 Jan 1868, d. 2 Mar 1947. (Married Maude L. BRANCH).
- Joan Eugenia, b. May 1875. (Married Robert Lee SHIVER).
1860 Federal Census of Worth County, Georgia
Enumeration Date: 23 Jun 1860
Page #1024, Dwelling #138, Family #115
NAME AGE SEX OCCUPATION R/E VALUE P/E VALUE BIRTHPLACE John SHIVER 42 M Farmer $1200 $2500 Georgia Mary SHIVER 24 F Georgia Jacob SHIVER 12 M Georgia Hetty SHIVER 12 F Georgia Joseph SHIVER 10 M Georgia Lumkin SHIVER 8 M Georgia Flemon SHIVER 7 M Georgia Elizebeth SHIVER 4 F Georgia Abraham SHIVER 2 M Georgia
John passed away on 13 Jan 1899 in Worth County, Georgia, and he was buried in the Bethel Baptist Church Cemetery in Sylvester, Worth Co., Georgia. Mary passed away on 6 Apr 1916 in Worth County, Georgia and is buried in the same cemetery.
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2018 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?